Eggplant Caviar (Reader Recipe From Nora Kogan)
Makes 1 1/2 cups (serves 4)| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1⁄2 pounds)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (1⁄4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (optional)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Pumpernickel bread and cut-up vegetables, for serving
- Heat oven to 400° F. Using a fork, prick the eggplant all over. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until very tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, halve it lengthwise and scrape out the flesh, discarding the skin. Finely chop the flesh and transfer it to a large bowl.
- Add the onion, garlic, parsley, oil, vinegar, mayonnaise (if using), ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and mix to combine. Sprinkle with additional parsley and serve with the bread and vegetables, if desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 140
- Fat 5g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 435mg
- Protein 4g
- Carbohydrate 23g
- Sugar 4g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 38mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .