- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1⁄2 pounds)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (1⁄4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more for serving
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1tablespoon mayonnaise (optional)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Pumpernickel bread and cut-up vegetables, for serving
- Heat oven to 400° F. Using a fork, prick the eggplant all over. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until very tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, halve it lengthwise and scrape out the flesh, discarding the skin. Finely chop the flesh and transfer it to a large bowl.
- Add the onion, garlic, parsley, oil, vinegar, mayonnaise (if using), ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and mix to combine. Sprinkle with additional parsley and serve with the bread and vegetables, if desired.