Egg Drop Soup
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the chicken in a large pot.
- Cut 3 of the carrots and 2 of the celery stalks into 1-inch pieces. Quarter the onion. Add the cut vegetables to the pot with the salt, peppercorns, and enough cold water to cover (about 8 cups). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming any foam that rises to the top, until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and let cool.
- Strain the broth, discarding the vegetables. Return the broth to the pot.
- Thinly slice the remaining carrots and celery. Add them, along with the rice to the broth and simmer 10 minutes. Slowly stir in the eggs and cook until set.
- Meanwhile, when the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat. Add it along with the scallions to the soup. Ladle into individual bowls.
- Per Serving
- Calories 437Calories From Fat 12%
- Fat 6g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 217mg
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 48g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .