- 3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt or fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 quarts strawberries, hulled and quartered (about 6 cups)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream
- Heat oven to 400° F. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ¼ cup of the sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and lemon zest. Blend with a pastry blender or your fingers until crumbly. Add the milk and stir until just combined (do not overmix).
- Drop 8 large mounds of the dough (about ½ cup each) 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons of the heavy cream and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Bake, rotating the baking sheet halfway through, until golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl, toss the strawberries with the vanilla, lemon juice, and the remaining ¼ cup of sugar. Let sit, tossing occasionally, for at least 30 minutes.
- Beat the remaining 1½ cups of heavy cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes. Split the biscuits. Top each bottom with strawberries and juices, ice cream, whipped cream, and a biscuit top.