- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 fresh stone fruits (such as nectarines, plums, or peaches), halved or cut into wedges if large
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and halved
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Heat oven to 425º F. Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Run the dull side of a knife down the length of each half, scraping up the seeds. Combine the seeds with 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a large bowl. Add the stone fruit and cherries and stir to combine.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Place the melted butter, eggs, milk, flour, salt, and the remaining ¼ cup sugar in a blender. Blend until combined and frothy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet. Transfer to the oven and heat until the butter is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the batter in the heated pan. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Top with the fruit (and any juices) and the ice cream. Serve immediately.