- butter for the pan
- 1/2 baguette, cut into 2-inch slices
- 1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/8pound thinly sliced cooked ham
- 3/4cup white wine
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2cups (6 ounces) grated Gruyere
- Heat oven to 400° F. Place the bread in a buttered ovenproof skillet, a 9-inch square baking dish, or a casserole. Scatter the onion and ham over the bread. Pour the wine over the onion and ham and sprinkle with the pepper and Gruyère.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and begun to brown at the edges, about 20 minutes. Spoon onto individual plates.