Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- ½ small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup raw vegetables (any combination of carrots, fresh spinach, zucchini, broccoli, peppers, and corn)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for cooking the pancakes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- your kids’ favorite pancake mix (enough for 10 to 12 pancakes), plus whatever additional ingredients are called for in the directions
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
- sour cream, for serving
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, and vegetables.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the other vegetables, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until everything is tender, 5 to 8 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, make the pancake batter according to the package directions.
- Add the cooked vegetables and the Parmesan to the batter and mix to combine.
- Cook the pancakes as you normally would (use olive oil instead of butter to help kick it up to dinner status). You can experiment with the amount of vegetables you include in each scoop of batter, depending on your kids’ tolerance levels. Top with the sour cream and serve.
- Per Serving
- Calories 436
- Fat 24g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 116mg
- Sodium 1,199mg
- Protein 13g
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 302mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .