Curried Chicken With Pears
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 fresh pears, unpeeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken. Cook 5 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the pears and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Remove from the skillet.
- Add the onion and remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and flour. Add the broth and ketchup and bring to a boil.
- Return the chicken and pears to the pan and coat with the sauce.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Divide among plates.
- Per Serving
- Calories 354Calories From Fat 129
- Fat 15g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 94mg
- Sodium 512mg
- Protein 36g
- Carbohydrate 19g
- Sugar 10g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 45mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Make it a meal: Serve the chicken and pears with couscous tossed with chopped almonds and sliced scallions.