- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut in half crosswise
- 2 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Place the steak in a large saucepan. Add the tomatoes, onion, chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Simmer, covered, until fork-tender, about 2 hours.
- Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Using two forks, shred the beef and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice and top with the mango and cilantro.