Cuban Black Beans and Rice
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 radishes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, oregano, and 1 cup water. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the vinegar. Smash some of the beans with the back of a fork to thicken. Serve over the rice. Top with the radishes and cilantro.
- Per Serving
- Calories 368
- Fat 5g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 1077mg
- Protein 14g
- Carbohydrate 71g
- Fiber 11g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To pack this hearty dish for lunch, simply scoop the beans and rice into large tortillas or pitas.