- zest from 1/2 orange, peeled into wide strips
- juice from 1 orange (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the zest, juice, carrots, wine, oil, cumin, salt, and enough water to cover (about 3/4 cup). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until almost tender but still slightly crisp in the center, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the carrots and the cooking liquid to a bowl. Season with the pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled through, about 40 minutes. Drain all but 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid before serving.