Crispy Falafel With Yogurt Dip
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot or 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a food processor or blender, process the chickpeas, lemon juice, and ¼ cup of water until almost smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the shallot, cumin, red pepper flakes, 2/3 of the garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons parsley, and ½ cup bread crumbs. Mix well. Roll into sixteen 2-inch-diameter balls and flatten slightly to form patties.
- Place remaining bread crumbs in a dish. Dip the patties in the eggs, then roll in the bread crumbs, coating evenly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt and pepper with the remaining garlic, salt, and parsley. Mix well. Cover and set aside.
- Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook 8 patties until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Add remaining oil, if necessary, and cook remaining patties, 2 minutes per side. Drain. Serve with the yogurt dip.
- Per Serving
- Calories 520Calories From Fat 210
- Fat 24g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 118mg
- Sodium 1,636mg
- Protein 20g
- Carbohydrate 57g
- Sugar 8g
- Fiber 8g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 242mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .