15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
fresh lemon juice
shallot or 1/2 small onion, finely diced
red pepper flakes
garlic cloves, minced
fresh parsley, chopped
freshly ground pepper
- In a food processor or blender, process the chickpeas, lemon juice, and ¼ cup of water until almost smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the shallot, cumin, red pepper flakes, 2/3 of the garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons parsley, and ½ cup bread crumbs. Mix well. Roll into sixteen 2-inch-diameter balls and flatten slightly to form patties.
- Place remaining bread crumbs in a dish. Dip the patties in the eggs, then roll in the bread crumbs, coating evenly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt and pepper with the remaining garlic, salt, and parsley. Mix well. Cover and set aside.
- Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook 8 patties until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Add remaining oil, if necessary, and cook remaining patties, 2 minutes per side. Drain. Serve with the yogurt dip.