Crispy Chickpea Pita
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped, plus 1/2 cup whole parsley leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 pitas or pieces flat bread, warmed
- 1 8-ounce container hummus
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice, chopped parsley, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper and toss.
- In a small bowl, combine the whole parsley leaves, tomatoes, and the remaining oil, salt, and pepper.
- Divide the bread among 4 plates and spread with the hummus. Top with the chickpea mixture, onion, and hot sauce. Serve with the parsley salad, yogurt, and lemon wedges.
- Per Serving
- Calories 668Calories From Fat 32%
- Fat 24g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 1,528mg
- Carbohydrate 96g
- Fiber 15g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 23g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
For a particularly rich and tangy topping, use thick, creamy Greek yogurt.