6-ounce catfish fillets
kosher salt and black pepper
slices soft white bread, torn
corn kernels, thawed if frozen
scallions, thinly sliced
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
shallot, finely chopped
chopped fresh dill
fresh lemon juice
dill pickle, finely chopped
- Place the fillets on a baking sheet. Lightly coat both sides with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Broil the fish until opaque throughout and slightly charred, 3 to 5 minutes per side. When cool enough to handle, flake into small pieces.
- In a food processor, pulse the bread until fine crumbs form.
- In a large bowl, combine the crumbs with the corn, scallions, parsley, eggs, and flaked fish. Mix well and form into 8 large cakes.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, shallot, dill, lemon juice, and pickle.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the cakes until crispy and golden brown, carefully turning once, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve with the tartar sauce.