Creamy Seafood Casserole
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound medium carrots (about 4), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound medium parsnips (about 4), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 pounds waxy potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 12 ounces skinless tilapia fillets (about 3), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp (about 18), tails removed
- 1/2 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 375° F. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, parsnips, celery, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute (do not let darken). Add the wine and simmer until nearly evaporated.
- Add the cream, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in the parsley, and transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and add 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Reserve ¾ cup of the cooking water, drain the potatoes, and return them to the pot. Add ¼ cup of the remaining oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and ¼ cup of the reserved cooking water and mash (adding more cooking water, if necessary) until smooth.
- Nestle the fish and shrimp in the vegetable mixture and top with the potato mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle over the potatoes. Place the dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 789
- Fat 49g
- Sat Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 210mg
- Sodium 560mg
- Protein 36g
- Carbohydrate 53g
- Sugar 8g
- Fiber 8g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 160mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .