Creamy Parmesan Risotto
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 to 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Blanc or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer and keep warm over low heat.
- In a separate medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until it is well coated with the butter and starts to turn translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and simmer gently until all the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the warm broth into the rice mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the broth is absorbed. Repeat, adding 1/2 cup of broth at a time, until the rice is cooked through but still firm, 20 to 25 minutes total.
- Add the remaining butter and the salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan. Stir to incorporate. Adjust seasoning with more salt to taste. Serve immediately, topping with additional Parmesan.
- Per Serving
- Calories 426Calories From Fat 33%
- Calcium 138mg
- Carbohydrate 50g
- Cholesterol 39mg
- Fat 16g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 3mg
- Protein 12mg
- Sat Fat 9g
- Sodium 509mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .