- 5 pounds white or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the potatoes and 2½ tablespoons salt in a large pot. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, over medium heat, heat the butter and ½ cup of the heavy cream until the butter melts.
- Drain the potatoes and return to pot. Add the butter-cream mixture, sour cream, nutmeg, pepper, and the remaining salt. With a handheld potato masher, mash the potatoes. If a thinner consistency is desired, add the remaining cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a heatproof serving dish.