Creamy Barley With Tomatoes and Greens
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups quick-cooking barley
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups torn mustard green leaves (from 1 small bunch) or spinach
- 2 ounces Taleggio or Brie (rind removed), cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the barley, tomatoes, wine, and 2 ½ cups water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the barley is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the mustard greens, Taleggio, and ¼ cup of the Parmesan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Divide among bowls and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan.
- Per Serving
- Calories 605Calories From Fat 144
- Protein 23g
- Carbohydrate 91g
- Sugar 7g
- Fiber 21g
- Fat 17g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Calcium 379mg
- Iron 5mg
- Sodium 917mg
- Cholesterol 24mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Quick-cooking barley can be used in most recipes that call for pearled barley. It tastes similar but cooks faster because it has been steamed.