large onion, finely chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
dry white wine
torn mustard green leaves (from 1 small bunch) or spinach
Taleggio or Brie (rind removed), cut into small pieces
grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the barley, tomatoes, wine, and 2 ½ cups water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the barley is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the mustard greens, Taleggio, and ¼ cup of the Parmesan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Divide among bowls and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan.