Creamy Barley Salad With Apples
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- 2 bunches arugula, thick stems removed (about 6 cups)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the barley, 1 ½ cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the barley is tender and the water is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain and spread on a rimmed baking sheet to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, lemon juice, mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the celery, apple, mint, and cooled barley and toss to combine.
- Divide the arugula among bowls. Top with the barley mixture.
- Per Serving
- Calories 198
- Fat 8g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 2mg
- Sodium 425mg
- Protein 5g
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 7g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .