Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 prepared piecrust (or, if making from scratch, see next 6 ingredients )
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) cold vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup ice-cold water
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, quartered, cored pears, sliced crosswise
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- If using prepared piecrust, tuck the bottom crust into a 9-inch pie plate and skip to Step 6.
- For homemade crust: Pulse the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add the butter. Pulse 5 more times. Remove the lid and "fluff" with a fork, lifting the dough up from the bottom of the bowl. Scatter in the shortening in small spoonfuls and pulse 5 more times. Fluff again. Drizzle half the water over the dough and pulse another 5 times. Remove the lid, fluff the pastry, and drizzle in the rest of the water. Pulse until the pastry starts to form clumps.
- Dump the dough into a large bowl, then pack the pastry into 2 balls, one slightly larger than the other. Knead each ball once or twice, then flatten into 3/4-inch-thick disks on a floured surface. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the larger half of the pastry into a 12-inch circle. Invert the pastry over a 9-inch pie pan. Tuck the pastry into the pan, letting the edges drape over the sides. Refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Roll the other half of the pastry into a 10-inch circle.
- For the filling: Mix the pears, cranberries, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the sugar and cornstarch and stir them into the fruit. Pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Invert the top pastry over the filling and press the edges together. Trim the pastry flush with the edge of the pan and crimp with a fork. Poke several steam vents in the top. Lightly brush on the milk and sprinkle the sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375º F. Bake until the juices bubble thickly, 25 to 30 minutes more. Cool
- Per Serving
- Calories 196.13Calories From Fat 24%
- Calcium 12.23mg
- Carbohydrate 37.59g
- Cholesterol 0.19mg
- Fat 5.34g
- Fiber 2.87g
- Iron 0.51mg
- Protein 1.05mg
- Sat Fat 0.81g
- Sodium 104.15mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
When baking a fruit pie, put a foil-lined baking sheet on the bottom of the oven to catch bubbling juices.