- 1cup hazelnuts
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/3cup granulated sugar
- 1/4cup packed light brown sugar
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spread the hazelnuts on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, 10 to 12 minutes. Rub the warm nuts in a clean dish towel to remove the skins (discard the skins); coarsely chop.
- Butter an 8½-by-4½-inch loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, milk, eggs, orange zest, and vanilla; add to the flour mixture and mix until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in the hazelnuts and cranberries.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes (tent with foil if the top browns too quickly). Cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.