Corn Bread Dressing
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 6 cups 1-inch cubes white bread, crusts removed (from 1 loaf Italian or country-style bread)
- 6 cups crumbled day-old corn bread (from 8-inch pan)
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground mace (optional)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes; let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, corn bread, and enough broth (at least 2 cups) to make a fairly mushy mixture. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the parsley, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the onion mixture to the bread mixture, along with the apples, nutmeg, and mace (if using); let cool. Add the eggs and gently combine.
- Spread the dressing in an unbuttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bake until golden brown and warmed through, about 1 hour. If you want a crispy topping, leave uncovered; otherwise cover with foil halfway through cooking. Sprinkle with additional parsley before serving, if desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 300.62Calories From Fat 43%
- Calcium 120.13mg
- Carbohydrate 35.83g
- Cholesterol 97.63mg
- Fat 14.48g
- Fiber 3.64g
- Iron 2.28mg
- Protein 7.64mg
- Sat Fat 7.16g
- Sodium 841.7mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .