low-sodium chicken broth
boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4)
frozen corn-on-the-cob pieces (sometimes called “cobbettes”)
small onion, thinly sliced
celery stalk, thinly sliced
garlic cloves, thinly sliced
medium russet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
kosher salt and black pepper
cut-up avocado, fresh cilantro sprigs, and capers, for serving
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the chicken broth and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and corn and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and corn from the saucepan and reserve.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a large bowl or measuring cup and reserve.
- Wipe out the saucepan and heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and the reserved cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the pota-toes are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken and cut the corn pieces into 1-inch-thick rounds. Return the chicken and corn to the soup. Add the lime juice, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve the soup with the avocado, cilantro, capers, and lime wedges