- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 bunches collard greens, stems discarded and leaves cut into strips (about 20 cups)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Cook the bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the shallots to the drippings in the pot and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add as many collard greens to the pot as will fit, season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and cook, tossing frequently and adding more collard greens when there is room, until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and sprinkle with the bacon.