Slow-Cooker Coffee-Braised Brisket With Potatoes and Carrots
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered, stem end left intact
- 1 pound new potatoes (about 12)
- 1 pound medium carrots, cut into 2 1⁄2-inch lengths
- 2 1/2 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup brewed black coffee
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- country bread (optional)
- In the bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the onion, potatoes, and carrots. Season the beef with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and place on top of the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, coffee, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar; pour over the beef and vegetables. Cover and cook on low until the beef and vegetables are tender, 8 to 9 hours.
- Slice the beef across the grain and serve with the vegetables and sauce, sprinkled with the parsley. Serve with the bread, if desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 600
- Fat 12g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 107mg
- Sodium 835mg
- Protein 67g
- Carbohydrate 55g
- Sugar 27g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 8mg
- Calcium 115mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .