- 1cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), cut into pieces, plus more for the pans
- 2cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 1/2cups granulated sugar
- 3/4cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2cup dark brown sugar
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Creamy Chocolate Frosting
- Heat oven to 350º F. Butter two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans and line the bottom of each with a round of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Add to the flour mixture and, using an electric mixer, mix until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the sour cream and vanilla.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pans for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Transfer one of the cakes to a platter and spread with ¾ cup of the frosting. Top with the remaining cake and spread with the remaining frosting.