- 4pounds bottom round, well trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3cup olive oil (plus more if needed)
- 2 large onions, diced (2 cups)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1cup dry red wine
- 1pound potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/2pound baby carrots (about 2 cups)
- 2cups beef broth
- 1tablespoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1cup frozen peas, thawed
- Coat the beef in the flour. Heat a few tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat, a few pieces at a time, adding more oil as necessary. Transfer to a heavy casserole or a heavy, covered saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and coat the onions; transfer to the casserole. Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape up any browned bits; add to the casserole. Stir in the broth, salt, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Cook the casserole in a 325° F oven for 4 hours, or in the saucepan or Dutch oven on the stovetop over low heat for about 2 1/2 hours. In either case, stir occasionally and add up to 1 cup of additional beef broth if necessary. Add the potatoes and carrots during the last hour of cooking, and the peas just before serving.