- canola oil, for the grill
- 12 bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (such as thighs, breasts, and drumsticks; about 4 pounds total)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Heat grill to medium-high, set up for indirect heat. Once it is hot, clean the grill grate with a wire brush. Just before grilling, oil the grill grate.
- Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill over indirect heat, covered and turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part (avoiding the bone) registers 165° F, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Move the chicken over direct heat. Cook, basting with the sauce and turning often, until deeply browned and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. (Move off direct heat if the chicken begins to burn on the edges.)