Citrus Sugar Cookies
Makes 40 cookies| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange, lemon, or lime zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the work surface
- decorating sugar (optional)
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and zest on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, then the vanilla and salt.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour, mixing until just combined (do not overmix). Shape into a 1-inch-thick disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Heat oven to 350° F. On a floured surface, roll the dough ¼ inch thick. Using lightly floured 2- to 3-inch cookie cutters, cut the dough into shapes, flouring the cutters and rerolling the scraps as necessary. Place the cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with decorating sugar, if using.
- Bake the cookies, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the edges just begin to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Per ServingServing Size: 1 cookie
- Calories 53
- Fat 2g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 11mg
- Sodium 26mg
- Protein 1g
- Carbohydrate 7g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 0mg
- Calcium 2mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .