- 4 large eggs
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 2 1/4cups granulated sugar
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 2cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2cup fresh orange juice
- 2tablespoons orange liqueur (optional)
- Heat oven to 325° F. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and zests. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high, beat the butter for 2 minutes. Add 1 1/4 cups of the sugar and the salt and beat for 2 minutes. Slowly add the egg mixture. Beat for 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and slowly add the flour. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the cake from pan. Invert it onto the rack. Turn it over again onto a serving plate.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, simmer the cranberries, orange juice, and the remaining sugar until the berries burst, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the syrup into a bowl and stir in the liqueur (if using). Slice the cake and serve with the warm syrup.