Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 acorn squashes (about 1 1/2 pounds each), halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 4 ounces manchego or Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 3 ounces cured chorizo, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, leaves torn (about 6 cups)
- Heat oven to 450° F. Place the squash halves cut-side down in a baking dish, add ¼ inch water, cover with foil, and bake until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bulgur according to the package directions. In a medium bowl, combine the bulgur, manchego, chorizo, parsley, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Turn the squash halves cut-side up and, dividing evenly, fill with the bulgur mixture. Bake until the filling is warmed through and the manchego is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the lettuce and toss to combine. Serve with the squash.
- Per Serving
- Calories 468
- Fat 29g
- Sat Fat 12g
- Cholesterol 49mg
- Sodium 704mg
- Protein 17g
- Carbohydrate 38g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 411mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To help the squashes sit flat once they are stuffed, cut a thin slice off the rounded side of the halves before baking.