- 1/4cup sugar
- 1/4cup cornstarch
- 2tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch kosher salt
- 2cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- whipped cream, for serving
- Set a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt. Gradually whisk in the milk, then the egg yolks.
- Cook the milk mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened to the consistency of mayonnaise, 7 to 8 minutes. Continue to cook, whisking, for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and pour through the sieve into the bowl, pushing the mixture through gently with a rubber spatula or spoon. Add the butter and chocolate and stir until melted. Mix in the vanilla.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. Before serving, gently stir the pudding to loosen it. Serve with the whipped cream.