- 2/3cup granulated sugar
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8teaspoon kosher salt
- 3cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add 1/3 cup of the milk, stirring to form a smooth paste. Whisk in the egg yolks and the remaining milk.
- Cook the mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or spatula until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes (do not allow to boil). Remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla and chocolate, stirring until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour into eight 4-ounce ramekins, glasses, or teacups. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. Sprinkle with the cocoa powder before serving.