Chocolate Fudge Pie
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Basic Flaky Piecrust
- or 1 store-bought piecrust, fitted into a 9-inch pie plate
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped, plus more shaved for topping
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Heat oven to 375º F. Place the pie plate on a baking sheet. Prick crust with a fork and line with foil. Fill to top with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the edges are firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake until just golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325º F. In a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, salt, and ½ cup of the sugar until fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Fold a third of the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remainder.
- Pour the combined mixture into the crust and bake until puffed and beginning to crack, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool for 1 hour, then chill.
- Beat the cream with the remaining sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over the pie and sprinkle with the shaved chocolate.
- Per Serving
- Calories 599
- Fat 43g
- Sat Fat 26g
- Cholesterol 180mg
- Sodium 191mg
- Protein 7g
- Carbohydrate 51mg
- Fiber 1g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The pie can be prepared without the toppings and refrigerated, loosely covered with plastic wrap, for up to 2 days. Top it with the whipped cream and shaved chocolate and refrigerate uncov- ered for up to 6 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.