Chocolate Espresso Mousse
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped, plus more, shaved, for garnishing
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl set over (but not in) a saucepan of simmering water, stirring often, until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, espresso powder, 4 tablespoons of the sugar, and ¾ cup of the cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until the mixture lightly coats the back of the spatula, 2 to 3 minutes (do not boil). Strain into the melted chocolate and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until completely cooled, about 30 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1 ¼ cups cream and 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In 3 additions, fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Divide among 8 serving glasses and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (if longer, bring to room temperature before serving). Sprinkle with the shaved chocolate before serving.
- Per Serving
- Calories 408
- Fat 32g
- Sat Fat 20g
- Cholesterol 158mg
- Sodium 26mg
- Protein 4g
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Sugar 26g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 47mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The mousse can be prepared up to 2 days in advance (do not sprinkle with the shaved chocolate). Refrigerate covered. Bring to room temperature and sprinkle with the chocolate before serving.