Makes 12 cookies| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for pressing in the dough
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Heat oven to 350° F. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan and line with a circle of parchment. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined (do not overmix).
- With floured fingers, press the dough into the prepared pan and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake until golden and firm, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth. Drizzle it over the cooled shortbread and refrigerate until set, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn the shortbread out of the pan and, using a serrated knife, cut into 12 wedges.
- Per ServingServing Size: 1 cookie
- Calories 177
- Fat 11g
- Sat Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 21mg
- Sodium 81mg
- Protein 2g
- Carbohydrate 19g
- Sugar 10g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 4mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .