Chocolate Cupcakes With Vanilla Frosting and Sprinkles
Makes 24 cupcakes| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 recipe Vanilla Frosting
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined (do not overmix).
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin tins and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.
- Spread the frosting on the cupcakes and sprinkle with the sprinkles.
- Per Serving
- Calories 407Calories From Fat 220
- Fat 25g
- Sat Fat 15g
- Cholesterol 88mg
- Sodium 179mg
- Protein 3g
- Carbohydrate 45g
- Sugar 35g
- Fiber 1g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 37mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Don’t scoop your flour directly from the bag with a measuring cup—the flour will become compacted, and you’ll get more than you need for the recipe. Instead, spoon it into the cup, then sweep off the excess with a knife.