- 1 1/4cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4cup confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs. Reduce speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated.
- Form the dough into balls (each equal to 1 level tablespoon). Roll the balls in the confectioners’ sugar and place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake until the cookies are firm and the tops crack, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.