Chocolate Chunk Gingersnaps
Makes 40 cookies| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated or coarse decorating sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, then the molasses and oil.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in the chocolate.
- Place the granulated sugar on a plate. Shape the dough into balls (about 2 tablespoons each) and, a few at a time, roll in the sugar to coat. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the edges are firm but the centers are still slightly soft, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Per ServingServing Size: 1 cookie
- Calories 187
- Fat 8g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 23mg
- Sodium 121mg
- Protein 2g
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Sugar 18g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 24mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
These cookies can be kept at room temperature, between sheets of wax paper or parchment in an airtight container, for about 5 days.