Makes 40 cookies
all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
(2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
packed light brown sugar
semisweet chocolate, chopped
granulated or coarse decorating sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, then the molasses and oil.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in the chocolate.
- Place the granulated sugar on a plate. Shape the dough into balls (about 2 tablespoons each) and, a few at a time, roll in the sugar to coat. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the edges are firm but the centers are still slightly soft, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.