Makes 36 cookies
all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
(3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
packed light brown sugar
pure vanilla extract
semisweet or milk chocolate chips (2 cups)
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop mounds of the dough (about 2 tablespoons each) 3 inches apart onto baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until golden brown, 14 to 16 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.