- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 4tablespoons chilled butter, cut into thin slices
- grated rind from 1 orange
- 1/2cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/2cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350° F. Lightly coat a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Using your fingertips or a pastry blender, work the butter into the dry ingredients until it looks like coarse crumbs. Mix in the orange rind, cherries, walnuts, and chocolate chips. Stir in the milk, eggs, and vanilla until well blended.
- Pour into pan. Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack.
- Variations: Substitute any of the following, using the same amounts: dried cranberries instead of dried cherries; white chocolate chips instead of semisweet chocolate; pecans, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts instead of walnuts.