- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1pound ground beef chuck
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1 to 3teaspoons chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 12-ounce bottle dark Mexican beer
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- corn bread, sour cream, cilantro, and pickled jalapeños, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium- high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Add the chili powder and chipotles to the saucepan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the beer and cook until reduced by half, 6 to 8 minutes more. Add the tomatoes (with their juices), beans, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Simmer, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon, until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with the corn bread, sour cream, cilantro, and pickled jalapeños.