- 6 medium beets, tops trimmed
- 1tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2teaspoons vinegar (such as cider or Champagne)
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 1 sprig fresh dill
- Place the beets and 1 tablespoon of the salt in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until a paring knife can be inserted smoothly into a beet, about 25 minutes, depending on size.
- Drain and rinse under cold running water until cool enough to handle. Remove the skins. (They should slip off easily, another sign of doneness.) Place the beets in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Slice them in half lengthwise. Arrange the halves on 6 serving plates. Drizzle with the oil and vinegar, then sprinkle with the remaining salt and the pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on the side and some snipped dill.