Chili-Rubbed Roast Beef
Makes 4 servings, with leftovers| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 4- to 6-pound top-round or eye-round roast
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili (such as McCormick) or chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 small sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Take the roast out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature about 45 minutes before roasting.
- Heat oven to 325º F. Place the roast on a metal rack in a roasting pan, fat-side up, and rub with the chili and salt. Toss the sweet potatoes with the olive oil and place around the roast.
- Cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers at least 120º F (for rare), about 1 hour and 15 minutes (15 to 20 minutes per pound). The potatoes should be fork-tender. Remove from oven.
- Loosely cover the roast with foil and let stand 10 to 15 minutes. (The temperature will rise to 125º F.) Slice half the roast.
Serve with the sweet potatoes. Wrap and refrigerate the remaining meat for another meal.
- Per Serving
- Calories 494
- Calcium 33mg
- Carbohydrate 13g
- Cholesterol 163mg
- Fat 18g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 7mg
- Protein 66mg
- Sat Fat 5g
- Sodium 258mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .