- 1 pound Italian sausage (sweet or hot), casings removed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup jarred salsa
- 1 8 1/2-ounce box corn bread mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar (4 ounces)
- Heat oven to 400° F. In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook the sausage, crumbling it with a spoon, until no trace of pink remains, about 7 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Spoon off and discard any fat.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and salsa and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the corn bread mix, egg, and milk, then stir in the Cheddar.
- Transfer the chili to a 9-by-9-inch or 11-by-7-inch 2-quart baking dish. Spread the corn bread batter over the top.
- Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.