Chili for a Crowd
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 12-ounce bottles lager beer
- 2 19-ounce cans kidney beans
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- corn bread
- toppings (such as sour cream, radishes, scallions, avocados, jalapenos, cilantro, Cheddar, and toasted pumpkin seeds)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the beer, beans, the tomatoes and their juices, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with the corn bread and toppings as desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 348Calories From Fat 30%
- Fat 12g
- Cholesterol 69mg
- Carbohydrate 26g
- Sodium 842mg
- Protein 30g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugar 8g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Beans made from scratch have better flavor, but the cooking can take hours. Canned beans are a solid alternative, if you rinse and drain them well.