Chicken and Pepper Stew With Olives
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 16 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6 pounds), halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 red bell peppers, sliced
- 3 green bell peppers, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups pitted olives
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. In batches, brown the chicken, turning, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate as it browns and add more oil as necessary.
- Add the bell peppers, garlic, ½ cup of the broth, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the pot. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until the peppers begin to soften, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the olives, raisins, and the remaining 1½ cups of broth and bring to a boil. Nestle the chicken in the vegetables and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Twenty minutes before the stew is done, cook the rice according to the package directions. Serve with the stew.
- Per Serving
- Calories 563Calories From Fat 179
- Protein 34g
- Carbohydrate 61g
- Sugar 9g
- Fiber 4g
- Fat 20g
- Sat Fat 5g
- Calcium 67mg
- Iron 5mg
- Sodium 713mg
- Cholesterol 100mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To freeze leftovers, cool the stew to room temperature, transfer it to freezer-safe containers or bags, and freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, place the container in a bowl of cold water or let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. To reheat, transfer the stew to a pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.